Hi guys, so due to poor to zero attendance in most of my classes, and in the interest of the best use of both your time, and my time, I am going to cancel class next week, June 3rd. If you would like to meet with me over the course of the week to ask questions about any materials, I will be around the building for most of the week so send me an e-mail and we will arrange office hours.
Otherwise, I would like to go ahead and schedule an exam review session for us the week of June 8th- June 11th. Please let me know when would be the best time for you guys, and e-mail me ASAP. If possible, figure out a date and time as soon as possible, so we can be sure to get a room.
- You should study all of Vince and McCarthy that we were assigned in class. These words and phrases will appear on your exam, in the same format as your Mock Examination. If you were not here for the Mock Exam, please see the attached document, complete it, and bring it in to ask questions during our review session. In case you’ve been living under a rock, or conspicuously absent, this is everything we have done both in and out of class:
- Advanced Language Practice (M. Vince) 2009 edition!!! : vocab chapters: 1, 2, 6, 9, 11-13, 18
- English Vocabulary in Use (advanced) (M. McCarthy and F. O’Dell): chapters 11-21, 24-28, 30-34, 37-38, 55-58
Oral Examination and Study Questions:
You should prepare for your oral examinations by studying several topics we discussing within our classes. Here are some guiding questions you should begin preparing for, answer in short bullet-points and bring in to our review session to discuss:
- In your opinion, has technology changed the way we live in the 21st century?
- Does social media alter how we interact with each other in society?
- Has traditional family changed in Poland?
- Will gay marriage ever become legal in Poland? Why or why not?
- Why do people get plastic surgery? Is it a problem with their own self-perception? Or societal pressure?
- Do you think drugs should be legal in Poland? Why?
- How are holidays, like Christmas in the United States different from those in Poland? What are some major differences? Similarities?
- Are the systems of education in the United States and Poland different? Which do you think is better, or more effective?
- Do people travel more or less than they used to? Is travel important or is it a waste of time and money?
- Is immigration a positive or a negative for society? Do you think immigration into and out of Poland will become an issue in the 21st century?
Terms to know for our review:
cosy,immobile, invalid, unrivaled, to lounge, exotic, hire a car, bequeathed, loathe, pristine, dressing up, dressing down, stingy, thrifty, cheap, sullen, berth, sultry, baffled, stew, dilute, chicken-out, binding, blurb, toll, clash, loom, fad, trend, hip, folded, shrugged, clenching, gripping, hazy, foggy, loophole, peer-reviewed, outback, acclaimed, hitched, gullible, discrepancy, tiptoe, dangerous, perilous, stroll, chat, carnivore, omnivore, herbivore, ward, aisle, spoiled, runner-up, academic, trainee, support teacher, truant, drowsy, catching your breath, gasping for breath, an outbreak, depression, stress, pain, rebellious, spoilt, domineering, sheltered, pushy, savour, unwind, relaxing, pristine, tundra, prairies, vegetation, manufacturing, humid, stuffy, muggy, close, downpour, deluge, winds of change, discontent, pile-up, tailback, towaway zone
Here is the mock exam, if you have not, please take it on your own and bring it to our review session: